Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Two cars and items stolen from within Media Boro.

In an earlier post I reported that a rash of thefts were reported within the borough which included items taken from unlocked cars.  This information mostly came from last week's borough council's meeting and a article done by the Media Town Talk.  I've come to learn yesterday that TWO cars were also stolen and the area of the incidents included  Edgmont St., E. State St. and N. Orange St.

Unusual to say the least because I can't remember the last time I heard of cars being stolen out of the boro.  Isolated events?  Possibly, but what really exposes the disconnect with this type of information is that it wasn't conveyed better to the area residents.  Borough Council addressed it at their council meeting, but if you weren't there and didn't read the meeting minutes, which won't be release until their approved by next month's meeting, you most likely didn't hear about it.



It was briefly touched upon by an article in the Media Town Talk on June 22nd that covered the council meeting, but in this day and age, it should come much quicker.  I have to at least give credit to Councilman Jim Cunningham for taking the time to explain and verify the situation.


If I can sit here and write about it in a few paragraphs on a blog, then by all means your elected officials should too!  Community leadership and responsibility isn't just a campaign slogan!!!!


Tedman O'Hara



5 comments:

  1. DUDE! Where's my car?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck getting anyone to take action. Remember, we just elected a sleepy mayor and two 'throw-ins' in the last election strictly for the letter after their name. Your elected leaders in the Borough won't make a difference - what will is Chief Marty and his staff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teddy, I read about these events immediately following the occurences in the Daily Times both in print as well as on line. Apparently both unlocked cars had the keys left in them.I for one don't expect politicians to secure my personal property.I also assume the paper has a larger following for getting out the word than this blog page,considering I am only the third person to comment on your editorial reference small town politics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep up the good work, Tedman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ANON:

    I also don't expect politicians to safe guard my belongs. What I do expect is communication that notifies residents and makes them aware of unusual events. In this case thefts. If I was on council I would have had a letter written and dispersed to residents in the surrounding area where the crime/s were reported.

    This does one of two things: 1) dispels rumor and conjecture that cause un-needed anxiety. 2) And more importantly, it gives formal direction from local government on the nature of thefts, what's being done and what can be done to prevent future occurrences.

    This is the difference between proactive and reactive.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete