Sunday, March 29, 2015

Media in Two Minutes

Media in Two Minutes

Gambling Comes to Media
Don't expect Media to become the next Atlantic City, which is probably a good thing, but Media does now have gambling.  Jack's Tavern on State Road last week unveiled the one and only gambling license in the county.  If fact, of the five Pennsylvania counties surrounding Philadelphia, only 3 of these licenses have been issued.

What you first notice when you walk into Jack's is a big machine that looks a lot like the kind you find for scratch-off tickets.  I put in a few dollars and out came the tickets.  I naturally began scratching and quickly realized there was more to it than that.  A little confused,  I quietly looked around Jack's for some clues on how to play the game.  After a few minutes, I noticed on the back that there were peel-back instructions.  I had never seen this game before.

10 dollars later I still hadn't won anything, but I will say, these ticket are like eating peanuts - you can go through a lot of them.  Better luck next time I suppose, but another interesting aspect of this license, is that it allows the establishment to have a monthly 50/50 raffle.  It's the kind you're probably familiar with; half the pot going to the house, and half to the individual winner.  However, speaking to the owner, Jerry McArdie he believes there is a great opportunity to help out the community with the 50/50 raffle.  To back that up, he's indicated that each 50/50 raffle will not go to the "house" but towards a community effort.  Media Little League, Rose Tree Colts and other youth leagues were a few he mentioned.

I don't know how much the 50/50 raffles will raise, but it's a heck of a nice gesture and one that shows what a local business is doing to help the community.

Lastly, I still think they have some of the best food around at prices that are unbeatable. Give Jack's Tavern a try! You might win and it you don't, you'll like the food.


Wow, the generosity speaks for itself!
I've been following the Jimmy Stuhlman Memorial Fund throughout at the week and was flat-out impressed with how much it continues to raise.  Great work, everybody!  As of today, it's over $16,000.  Click here to donate.

The Best of Media?
Has it really been 5 years since I did a "Best of Media"?  Not quite, I also did one in 2011, but haven't done one since.  Someone posted a comment last week asking that I do another for 2015.  It'll take me most of Spring to check my notes, do a few evaluations and hammer out the 2015 list, so bear with me.  In the meantime, here's the 2010 and 2011 BEST OF MEDIA!



Has Maggie Hook's Fish and Grille Closed?
If you believe what people are saying, it looks like this was the last weekend for Maggie Hook's on State Road.  Not sure what happens to the Draft Room, but time will tell.

Help out the Media Girls Softball Club
Media softball coupon for  Modells. It is good for 15% off purchases and Modells donates 5% back media softball

It can be used at granite run, Clifton and Exton.  You can show the cashier your phone or even just mention media area girls softball.

President's Citation

A few week's ago the Media Rotarian's presented me with an award for the work I did with the Media Food Bank.  I'm humbled, but I accepted it on behalf of the many of you who stepped up and supported the food bank.  I may have brought some awareness to the cause, but it's the community who literally put food on tables of those in need.  Well done, everybody.

And a special thanks to Dana Mancini and the Media Rotarians for such a distinct honor.

Wawa Pettiness by Borough Council (Part 2)
Media Borough Council can't even agree on, what they agree on.  Pettiness? Dysfunction? 



1 comment:

  1. Any word on what's happening with Moe's on R 1 in Springfield?

    ReplyDelete