Sunday, January 31, 2016

The Closing of the Plumstead Inn - The Hardest ATMpa Post I've Ever Written in 7 Years!



Well, here it goes...

I've been writing this blog for close to 7 years and shared well over 2,000 posts about Media. Typically, I can belt something out in 20 minutes or so, and have the grammatical and spelling errors to prove it. HA!  However, I've been trying to right this story for over 3 months.  I've written it, edited it, deleted it and started all over numerous times.  No doubt, this is the hardest post I've ever done, but now I'm finally out of time and so will the Plumstead Inn in a few hours.

Why is it so hard?  It's because there are so, so many stories about this place that really exemplify what it is to be a part of Media, PA, and if you were lucky, you may have even been a part of them.   I can't go through all of the legends and know it's just a "bar", but it was a lot more than that - A LOT MORE.  It was a meeting house of sorts where you could celebrated achievements, victories, sorrows, fears or even just the day-to-day nuances of life that everyone has and needs to talk about.  It had its quiet times and rowdy times, but it always had something for everybody.  Having a place like the Plumstead was more important than the trendiest sushi, or made to order taco with a kale shake, it was the last place that many of us felt at home at. 

It's never easy to say goodbye,  but I want to sincerely thank Chuck Margis and his family for such a wonderful experience and for the fun times I’ll never forget. To this day Chuck still makes the best Crown Manhattan I've ever had - a true craftsman.  I also want to thank Laurie, Ronnie, Leroy and Jack(R.I.P) for their dedication and commitment to Media, PA, you always looked out for us.  And, lastly, to Fran and Dom!  You both were the face of the establishment, and working there for 28 years showed that.  Heck, you practically raised some of us. It’s hard to put in words how to describe what that meant to everyone, but know this: It mattered and won’t ever be forgotten.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I'll be down one last time to raise a drink in honor.

Tedman O'Hara

2 comments:

  1. I've been there a few times in the 30 years I was a FedEx courier in Media and I know what it means to lose a place where everybody knows your name. I doubt they knew my name there but, my place was in Havertown and it was The Quarry, and that was my place every Friday night with my friends for baked clams and drinks and an update from the bartenders about their family's. The Quarry is gone and now The Plumstead Inn, I feel your lose :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent tribute. Gave me goosebumps. Embrace the memories ❤️

    ReplyDelete