|New meter on State St.|
Anyway, what they did do is upgrade the current parking meters on State Street between Monroe and Orange with the hardware to accept credit cards. So how do they work? That's a good question as borough council failed to make an announcement and overview of this new feature on their Award Winning Website, the $15,000 one. They should have also had stickers on these meters to let people know that parking is free on the weekends.
So, here's how they operate:
- First, select which parking space (options: left side, right side)
- Insert coins, or proceed to step 3 for credit card payment.
- Press the green button to select time. There is only one selection (3hrs for $2).
- Swipe your card
- Wait for display notification on top of meter.
- Verify 3 hours had been allocated.
- Is there a receipt? No, there are no printouts.
- Can I still use coins? Yes
- Can I pay via my smart phone? No
- Will I have to pay on weekends? No, Saturday and Sunday's are free
- Will all of Media have this credit card payment feature? Research is still being gathered.
- How long does it take to pay via Credit Card? Less than 20 seconds.
- What cards does it take? Visa, Master Card and Borough Park card. (Not sure about Amex and others)
- Where can I get a borough parking card. There's a one-time purchase fee of $2 to get a card and they have them at borough hall. You can add credit to the card as needed.
- Can I pay for longer or shorter times than 3 hours? No, when paying with a credit card you get one option (3hrs for $2)