Sunday, April 21, 2013

Media in Two Minutes

Good Morning!  Before we start, I'd like to recognize the the people I met last week at an event who told me they really like reading this blog.  For a guy who never liked writing and had the grades to prove it, I appreciate the in-person comments tremendously. Thanks for reading!  This is actually the 1,200th post to this blog with about 115 drafts I've yet to publish and probably won't (old news).  Thanks for the comments too!  There are 3,787 of them with a healthy amount NOT being shots at me.  I'm sure as time goes on that ratio will not be in my favor, Ha!  I do have fans, but I also enjoy the critics too. 

MUST TRY - Spasso's Crab Ravioli
I suppose anyone can be a restaurant critic, but I don't have the culinary knowledge to really deconstruct the finer details of exquisite cuisine, nor do i pretend to.  Like anyone, I know what I like and that's pretty much my gauge for food comments. So, here's one I think you should try.

The Best Crab Ravioli I've Ever Had!

Last week I was heading over to Spasso's for dinner with Kim when someone told me to try the Crab Ravioli.   If it wasn't for my indecisiveness towards the menu, I would have gotten any of the many others dishes.  I'm glad I didn't.  Truthfully, the Crab Ravioli is one of the best dishes I've had in a LONG time, ANYWHERE!  Very nice job, Spasso's

Rails to Trails - Aston to Middletown
This is a really cool project that I give a lot of credit to Mike Fusco and his group for their fortitude and endurance over the last 10 years to make this happen.  In this week's Town Talk, the Rails to Trails project is moving forward with bids for initial construction going out soon.  I wonder what they'll do with the trestle that goes over Pennell Road.  That's the only segment of those rails I haven't traveled.

Cats on Franklin Street
I've read a few comments and heard complaints about stray/feral cats on West Jefferson Street.  I took a ride down there last week to see what it was all about and didn't come across anything unusual.  I don't know what I was expecting, but I didn't see cats strutting around all over the place.  That's not to say they aren't there, but if this is a problem, please leave comments that describe the situation.  I'll try to get some awareness towards this issue.

Penncrest Football Fundraiser
Congratulation to Penncrest Football for putting on a great fundraiser last night at the Middletown Firehouse.  I got to meet Coach Stroup who is a great guy and quite excited about this upcoming year.  I had always thought the football field was in great shape and much better than when I played, but like anything that may be outdated too.  With many schools going to turf fields(think what the Eagles play on), Penncrest is also hoping to someday have one also.  A about a million dollars, we'll need a lot more fundraisers.

Media's Wawa Project
If I said it once, I've said it a 100 times:  If anyone has a better idea of what should be built at the site of where the proposed Wawa should be, let's hear it.  It's not going to be a hotel and it's not going to be a park, but it will be something.  If anyone wants to deal a big box pharmacy over Bob Linn designed Wawa done exclusively for this town, let me know now and perhaps I can save everyone a lot of time and hassle.  People on borough council were elected to SOLVE problems and if that includes anticipated traffic issues, then stand-up show LEADERSHIP!

Mayor Bob McMahon, WE WANT OUR MONEY BACK!
Mayor McMahon - Mis-managing Taxpayers Money
Seriously, how long does it take to make a $20,000 five minute infomercial?  We'd like to know as Mayor Bob McMahon told us the following:
July 5, 2012
“McMahon mentioned that the filming will start in August and will be broadcast in the fall.”
We're going on ten months and still nothing.  If you remember, this was the same company McMahon was told was investigated and fined by the Florida State Attorney, but he and Council President, Brian Hall proceeded with them anyway.  This job never went out to bid to local producers who could have done it for less and would have had it DONE by now.















15 comments:

  1. I assume you mean the spot of the failed hotel across from Motel Providence. As an East Jefferson Street resident, please tell me what they'll do for traffic flow to ensure that I can someday get out of my driveway once there's a wawa there. How will anyone make the left onto Providence Rd. if it's a Wawa or cross over onto Beatty? We would at the least need E. Jeff to be one way and put a traffic light there to ensure people won't get killed at that intersection once the severely increased traffic a Wawa would bring is put in. And "something is going to go there"? Well, nothing has in the 8 years since I bought my house. I don't have a ton of hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, the Wawa would be where the Media Inn used to be, not on the eyesore empty lot that you correctly point out as being empty for many years.

      Delete
    2. I wonder if the residents who were so vocal about quashing that Days Inn are happy about looking at an empty lot bringing $0 to media.

      Delete
    3. It's the age d argument.... we don't want any development in an area that is already over developed

      Delete
  2. There are 4, maybe 5 stray cats in the vicinity of Jefferson & Linden. They are there because someone puts food out for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the Stray Cats good band.

      Delete
    2. We just recently lost our cat (we did find him after 11 days!) and I did a lot of reading online on how best to search, etc. I found out that a lot of cats that people assume are feral are actually lost cats. Someone should go photograph the cats and post their pictures someplace and also check in with local vets with the photos. It broke my heart to think our cat, when he was lost, would end up just with a band of stray cats in the outdoors.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, somebody (else) should do that

      Delete
  3. Was the check ever cut, or was it just approved?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no evidence that a check was actually written. Give it up.

      Delete
  4. My husband and I aren't impressed with this mayor at all. The guy should just give it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be nice if there were a hotel/motel you could recommend to visiting relatives/friends without gross embarrassment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These fools can't even get a bridge open, if you're asking for a hotel, you might a well just ask them to put a man on the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The WaWa plan actually eliminates the worst traffic issue at the intersection where Soccer-Mom SUV's, complete with the little annoying mom / dad / kids / dogs / cats stickers on the back window, make a left turn across two lanes of southbound traffic to hurry into Starbucks for the $7, 800 calorie latte.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PennDOT actually cites those stick figure stickers as a leading cause of annoying the miserable. At least no one would ever go to Starbucks again.

      Delete