Friday, February 12, 2016

After 47 years, Marty's Service Station on the West End of Baltimore Avenue Closes

Marty Consenza 30 minutes before retiring after 47 years.
These articles are never easy to write, but they must be written.  It seems Media has been on a run lately with long-standing businesses deciding to close shop.  I don't have any particular reason for that, but it's just the way it is these day.

At this very moment, Marty's service station that has been in existence in some form on the west end of Baltimore Pike, is closing today at 5pm after 47 years of dedicated service to Media.

People might not understand the gravity of that, but for me, I made sure to leave work early today to get down there and see Marty Consenza.  I was a bit concerned I wasn't going to get there in time, but sure enough, there he was as of 4:30pm, 30 minutes before finishing up 47 years of being in the business!!!

I thought maybe there'd be a big party, or at least a lot of people - I just didn't know what to expect. Eitherway,  there he was sitting in his chair looking out over Baltimore Ave like any other day I suppose,  but it really just wasn't any other day.

Sold!  Coffee shop coming soon!
I walked up to him, shook his hand and thanked him for the 47 years of service.  I told him when I was working for a landscaper in the 80's, I would always stop at his station, which back then pumped gas.  He really didn't know who I was, nor did I expect him to, but we both remembered the days he and his sons ran the pumps which were located where the old Fresh Produce was.  I think he may even replaced a strut I brought him in an old VW GTI I had once. He was and is a good guy, and one Media should remember.

Marty didn't really share his plans for retirement, but he seemed happy to take a picture.  As for the property, it's been sold and will be developed into a Coffee Shop.






No comments:

Post a Comment