Johnson and Johnson winning the Lawn Sign Campaign
Primary elections are typically quiet in Media, but this year will be quite different. If you're wondering why the Johnson and Johnson signs are popping up throughout the borough, well you're not the only one.
Apparently, a rift of some sort has fractured the Media Democratic party over who are the worthy candidates who will be chosen in the Primary Election May 16th. As posted a few weeks ago, a letter was circulated within Media citing the displeasure a group of democrats had with the nomination process of candidates. They felt Amy Johnson and Lisa Johnson (no relation) were not fairly given a chance to be selected for re-election. Conversely, the Media Democrats, through literature they were handing out yesterday, basically addressed the issue as indecisiveness by Amy and Lisa, and therefore moved forward with different candidates.
There's always as a story behind the story, so I'm sure it's much more involved than "indecisiveness." Amy and Lisa weren't on the fence yesterday as they were going door-to-door campaigning while their yard signs throughout Media are much more committed than their opponents. Meanwhile, Brian Hall was seen going door to door handing out the official Media Democratic literature supporting his ticket, which doesn't include Amy and Lisa, but their opponents.
This will shape up to be more of a popularity contest as the issues both sides are running on are essentially the same. Generalizations on safety, transparency, the voice of the people, etc.
Here are some questions that ALL candidates need to answer:
- Why did Amy Johnson feel the need to hire a gardener at $25 per hour when the Media Highway Department could have done the job? Media Police start at $26 per hour.
- What are Lisa and Amy's position on the completion of the Third Street Bridge? Being supported by former Councilman Kent Davidson, who opposed the bridge; will they follow suit?
- Why hasn't anything been done to curb the speeding and stop sign roll throughs in the borough that were raised last year?
- What are their positions on the current construction going on for numerous projects in Media and how much is too much?
- What are their positions on the crumbling Olive St parking garage and plans for a new garage at Baltimore Ave and Orange St?