Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Best Places to Purchase a Christmas Tree

With Thanksgiving now concluded and the leftovers probably devoured too, it's now time to get down to the traditional quest of purchasing a Christmas Tree.  If you have an artificial tree, well, then you might not find this post all that interesting, but if you don't and enjoy having a cut tree, keep reading.

I'm no arborist, but I have sold quite a few Christmas trees in my day.  In fact, it was one of the very first paying jobs I ever had.  I've always enjoyed it and is probably why I always get a fresh cut tree as soon as I can.  I'll tell you where you can get the best tree around,  but first I want to let people know that both Middletown and Rocky Run Fire Departments are selling trees with 100% of the proceeds going to their volunteer services.  That's pretty cool and a very noble effort that deserves recognition.  I'm not sure if the Media FD is doing this, but let me know if they are.

As for Media, the only two places I know selling trees includes the lot at Rita's Water Ice on Providence Road and the produce store on Baltimore Ave on the west side of town.  Never bought a tree at either, but for convenience, they are in Media.

Ok, so here's the deal:  The best trees I've ever come across can be purchased at Kirkpatrick's Nursery on Middletown Road out in Glen Mills.  At one time, Kirkpatrick's started out as a Christmas tree farm, so it's a neat place to visit.  I get mine there and can say there are none fresher. In fact they were cut days ago from a place just outside of Hamburg, PA.  You won't get these for bargain prices, but you also won't have half the needles fall off when you bring it in your house. These go quick too, so this weekend might be your best change to get one here.

Lastly, if you like to cut down your own tree, Linvilla has a great setup for this.  If you're looking for a little more adventure the West Chester Railroad has a great event where you ride the train out to a Christmas Tree farm, cut a tree, load it on the train and ride back to West Chester.  


4 comments:

  1. Great information, Tedman. Never knew we had so many choices. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Dix, Penncrest 1977December 4, 2013 at 9:40 AM

    Billy and Alyce Kirkpatrick, owners of the Nursery, are wonderful people. I highly recommend visiting there for a tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The setup with the West Chester railroad is outstanding. How many people can say they took a train to a Christmas tree farm to cut their own tree? With hot chocolate, coffee, and donuts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have purchased ours for several years in a row at the grocery on Baltimore Pike. The trees there are always fresh and last into the first week of January with little or no difficulty.

    ReplyDelete