Sunday, May 11, 2014

Media in Two Minutes

Media in Two Minutes 
Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms out there, especially the single moms who have the hardest jobs in the world.  I wish I had half your strength and could treat you all on this day.
There was a lot going on yesterday in terms of an invite to see a Media rugby match, the fundraiser for Penncrest Football who were selling mattresses and my favorite event, Stroke Awareness Month hosted by Sandi Pileggi and her family at the Delco SPCA.  I'll do a write up on this event later this week, but Sandi is doing a fantastic job bringing awareness to this cause while having a lot of fun too. 
Thanks for all the great comments on the videos I did on road conditions this winter.  Two people actually came up to me to tell me how much they enjoyed them.  Well, it'll be awhile before I do them again, but I do have another project I'm working on that will bring back the video element of this blog.  Thanks!
Tedman
Jack's Tavern Hosting Preakness Race Day Party - May 17, 2014 
This place is a classic neighborhood bar and a favorite of among locals.   I had a chance to stop in last night and it sounded like a German beer hall with people singing and having a good time.  Legend has it they have the coldest beer in the area, but I know for a fact that the food is well worth the trip.  $9.95 for 2lbs of steamed shrimp?  You can't beat that or the fact that people have been known to hang out for just the soups!  Their chicken pot pie soup is the best I've ever had.

"Smart" Communities
There are smart phones, smart homes and now smart communities, which is the philosophy of a company called Arcadia Land Company who's very interested in developing homes and apartments on the West side of Media.  Earlier this week I shared their "to be determined" plans to build a multi-unit apartment complex on Baltimore Avenue near Fresh Produce.  They also have ideas for the old dive shop that been vacant for years and sits on a few acres of undeveloped land.  From what I understand, they have plans to build townhomes there.

Is Media ready for development of this scale  on this side of town?  Surprisingly, it seems about even from the feedback I've seen from those who are for and against it.

Congratulations to Penncrest Lacrosse 18-0 and Central League Champs!
I didn't get to see the game, but the write-ups during the season were awesome.  Congratulations, Well Done!


No Parking at Ridley Creek State Park - Sycamore Mills Rd.
Parking Problems at Ridley Creek Park
On a nice day there were always parking issues when visiting Ridley Creek State Park by the Barren Road entrance.  Well, that just became a lot worse as no parking signs have been erected along Sycamore Mills road.  I have no idea why that was done, but it reduces parking at this popular site by at least a third.

Rails To Trails on Chester Creek
Chester Creek - Rails to Trails
There's always talk about these projects whether through presentations, committees or online sites.  They're neat, but you never really see the outcome.....until now.  I have to hand it to this committee and their deligence towards making the rails to trails along Chester creek a reality.  

You can actually see the progress as I did yesterday.  It's not near being finished, but you can walk rugged trails that haven't been passable in decades.  I suppose these trails will be paved at sometime, but it's GREAT to see this coming together.  I plan to shoot a video for those who are interested in learning more about this trail.

HOTEL.....NO-TEL
We had a pretty neat event this week in Media that entailed the filming of a movie called "Bad Boys, Crazy Girls"  They did a lot of this shoot at Sligo's on State Street.  One evening after a shoot, I caught up with the crew at Sligo's and asked them where they were all staying.  One girl said, "Oh, we're staying out in Glen Mills."  When I heard that, I wondered how many people a year come to Media but lodge somewhere else.  How many more banquets could Spring Haven County Club have or even the Towne House, if there was a nice hotel?

There's still a tremendous desire by residents and businesses here in Media to someday have a hotel, but after 8 years and counting that's looking less likely.  What's worse, we have a mayor and borough council who's so out of touch with what's going on, they think the abandoned structure currently sitting on the site will be knocked down any day.

Threats by Media Borough Council
It's not the first time I've heard of this borough council threatening people, but on Friday, it was the first time I've heard sworn testimony stating such.  The Media Democrats who have an exclusive majority on borough council, should be ashamed that this is going on.  Other than maybe Councilman Paul Robinson, the rest on council are too weak to stand up and denounce this behavior.



 
 

5 comments:

  1. Can you tell me where the access points are for the Chester Creek trail that is open (I presume) to the public? I think I found there website, but there isn't any updated info.... Would love to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not open yet. a couple years away I believe.

      Delete
  2. There are over 100 parking spots at the Ridley Creek State Park mansion. Why risk getting run over parking on a dangerous back road where everyone speeds?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to guess that people want to walk/ride the loop and don't know how to get there from the mansion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The parking lot for the loop is near the playground, bathrooms and exercise equipment. Sorry don't know what it's called.

    ReplyDelete