Thursday, October 31, 2013

Fire Departments called to State Street Last Night!

There was a bit of excitement on State Street last night that definitely got the attention of the local fire companies.  Not sure all the details, but a reader submitted a few photos of the incident that appears to have occurred after midnight.

As of this morning, there was no apparent damage to the businesses or buildings.


  1. it was earth and state

    1. Fact check you are wrong. don't post if you don't know what you are talking about.

      earth and state fine problem was at 320 market

  2. TM what is your vision with regard to fire and ambulance service in the future?

  3. Hi Heather from Earth & State here. (I don't want to leave this as anonymous.) I commented on this story on Facebook Thursday but not here . Long story short. I was dropping off a new vacuum at the store around 11 pm. I smelled a funny smell that smelled kind of electrical. I called Drew, he came up & then he went to the apartment upstairs. She smelled it too & I called 911. The police & fire department showed up immediately, searched through the store & her apartment with heat sensors. They noticed the smell was stronger right outside our back door & thought it could be wiring. They wanted to check 320 so I called Jack & he came right over. When they opened the door to 320 it was obvious the smell was coming from inside. I'm not sure exactly what happened next (I wasn't in 320) but they went inside & within minutes there was smoke. A basket of newly washed rags was on fire. (I guess we were smelling the smoldering?) Thankfully I happened to be there at the right time & with the firefighters quick response, there wasn't any damage just smoke & everyone was okay. They investigated the scene for awhile (it was after 2am when we all left) but as far as I know there still isn't a conclusive reason as to how the fire started. All I can say is I have never been more thankful to be a late night person! And I'm thankful that our vacuum broke this week & that I found one on sale that night! And a huge shout out to our police & fire departments & our neighboring fire departments who came to our aid as well. We are all very thankful!